Real Mexican food is very different to the Tex Mex varieties we get in the UK - it's a rich and varied cuisine that has a wide variety of tastes, flavours and textures. Here we look at some of the key characteristics of Mexican food...
Key components of Mexican cuisine
- Chillies - Chillies of varying heat are used in lots of Mexican dishes
- Frijoles - Frijoles are a type of bean that have been boiled and fried
- Guacamole - Guacamole is a dip or garnish made from avocados, onions and cilantro
- Salsa - Salsa is another dip or garnish that varies in ingredients, but typically includes tomatoes, chili, coriander and onions
- Tortillas - Tortillas are made from flour or maize and typically substitute bread
Popular Mexican dishes
Popular Mexican dishes include:
- Ceviche - Ceviche is a fish dish that's served cold with lemon or lime, onions and herbs.
- Enchiladas - Enchiladas are tortillas stuffed with chicken, pork or vegetables, tomato and chilli sauce. The tortillas are then folded and the dish baked
- Nachos - Nachos are tortillas cut into triangles and fried, with cheese added. They are usually served with a variety of dips
- Quesadillas - Quesadillas are tortillas stuffed with cheese, folded and grilled. They are often served with beans or salads
- Tacos - Tacos are tortillas that are fried until crispy and stuffed with various ingredients