How to cook rice in the microwave
Rice is a great accompaniment to any meal from meat and poultry to vegetable and salad dishes. If you are in a hurry and would like a steaming bowl, we show you how to cook rice in the microwave. Whether you are making food for one or many, cooking rice this way will save you time without compromising quality.
What to do
Any type and brand of microwave can cook your rice. The length of time needed to get it done of course varies depending on the quantity you are cooking. The type of rice will also affect cooking time as well as the amount of water you need. There are many varieties of rice available in the market such as basmati, jasmine, brown, long grain, sticky rice and so on. However, for a quick rundown on what you should do, here are simple steps to take note of if you want to learn how to cook rice in the microwave:
- Find a microwave-safe dish or bowl that you can use. As a rule, for every cup of uncooked rice, you need an equivalent of 2 cups of water.
- Wash uncooked rice with water to remove impurities in the grain. Sometimes, there are stray kernels or a tiny stone.
- Once the bowl is ready, you can add salt. Note that adding seasoning is optional. Some like their rice real plain whilst others a tad salty.
- Check for the `cook rice' function settings on your microwave. Nowadays, there is a special function on the microwave that you can use specifically to cook rice.You can even add a bit of sesame or olive oil for flavouring.
- Put the highest power level on your microwave if you do not have the cook rice function. Leave the dish uncovered inside the microwave whilst cooking.
- Typically, cooking rice in the microwave will take 15 to 18 minutes. You will know your rice is cooked once all the liquid is absorbed and it is tender.
Learning how to cook rice in the microwave is just one of the many uses of your kitchen appliance. You can also do popcorn, vegetables, casseroles and so on. If time is not something that you have plenty of, cooking things in the microwave will save you some of it.