How to cook the perfect white rice
White rice is highly refined and doesn't need rinsed or soaked before cooking. Follow this guide to get perfectly cooked white rice every time.
- Put one cup of rice and one-and-a-half cups of water in a lidded saucepan
- Bring to a boil over a high heat, keeping the pot covered. Don't lift the lid throughout the process - the steam is important for the grains to swell
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for 20 minutes
- Remove the rice from the heat and let it sit for five minutes, with the lid still on
- Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork, separating the grains
Tip: one cup of uncooked white rice gives about three cups of cooked rice