With a good knife and some practice, you'll be dicing onions like a pro in no time!
- Cut the onion in half through the root and peel it
- Place the cut side flat on a chopping board with the root pointing away from you
- Hold the onion in place with your little finger and thumb, placing your other fingers on top of the onion
- Using the fingernail of your middle finger to guide the blade, chop the onion very finely from one end to the other
- Move the knife further up the onion with each cut
- Stop about 1cm away from the root end
- Holding the onion at the root end, make five horizontal cuts from the top of the onion to the root, stopping 1cm away from the root end
- Repeated the fine chopping motion using your middle fingernail as a guide
- Discard the unchopped root end
Here Gordon Ramsay offers some top advice for chopping an onion without getting teary!