Kneading dough is essential to making bread, pasta and a range of other dishes.
The kneading motion stretches the dough and gives bread and rolls their light, airy and chewy texture. Without kneading, your breads will be flat and tough.
- Combine the ingredients for the dough
- Use a spoon to mix in as much of the flour as you can
- Sprinkle flour on a clean work surface and turn the dough onto it
- Gather the dough in a pile and begin pressing it together
- Using the heels of your hands, press the dough firmly and push forwards slightly
- Fold the dough in two, pressing the far edge into the middle of the dough ball
- Repeat this press-fold action until the dough is ready
Check out the instructional video for more information.