The zest (outer rind) of citrus fruits is full of essential oils and flavour. To zest a fruit, follow these simple instructions...
- Depending on how fine you want the zest to be, you can use a potato peeler, a grater or a zester.
- Press the grater or zester firmly down into the peel.
- Use short strokes for small pieces or draw the peeler right around the fruit for long strips.
- If you're using a potato peeler, cut the peels into thin strips with a sharp knife afterwards.
- Avoid peeling any of the white pith, which is very bitter.
Watch Jamie Oliver's guide to zesting citrus fruits here: