Delicious ostrich eggs recipes
If you ever want to try out the ovum of one of the world’s biggest birds, we tell you how to make delicious meals using our fabulous ostrich eggs recipes. Just keep in mind that one egg is like having 12 eggs. Hence, make sure that you have the appetite or round up a couple of friends over for a yummy feast.
There are many delectable ostrich eggs recipes you can try and experiment with. Here is one of our favourites, the Ostrich tortilla recipe.
What you will need
- 6-8 large potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion
- 200 grammes minced chicken
- Sprigs of parsley
- Peel potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Boil them in a pot until done. Do not overcook as they will be mushy.
- Sauté in oil onion and garlic.
- Brown the minced chicken in the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a big bowl, break the ostrich egg and beat it well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Pour the beaten egg in the pan. Let one side cook.
- Put the ground chicken and the boiled potatoes on top.
- Fold the omelette over.
- Put it in a large serving dish.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and ground nutmeg on top.
- Serve hot with pieces of salted bread.
Another recipe you can also try is Bedeviled ostrich eggs
What you will need
- 1 ostrich egg
- Spices, salt and pepper
- Boil the ostrich egg in a large pot.
- Drain the pot.
- Wait that it cools down before cracking or removing the shell of the egg.
- Remove the shell delicately.
- Cut the egg into two pieces.
- Put the halves on a large serving dish.
- In a separate bowl, prepare your own mayonnaise (using ostrich eggs) or use commercially prepared cocktail sauce. Add cayenne pepper, black pepper and bell pepper as well as salt for a tasty flavour. Pour sauce on top of the halved eggs.
Try these, too
There are many ostrich eggs recipes you can try at home. They are pretty much like your normal chicken eggs except that they're bigger in size. You can also try curried, poached or scrambled eggs. Add mushrooms and cheese for that perfect comfort food that we all look for so often.