Chicken and sweetcorn soup is a traditional Chinese dish that never fails to deliver on taste or texture. It's a simple yet hardy soup and a great way to use up the leftovers from Sunday lunch.
Chicken and sweetcorn soup - serves 2
Ingredients for chicken and sweetcorn soup
- 100g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 570ml (1 pint) hot chicken stock
- 100g sweetcorn, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 egg white
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- shredded spring onions to garnish
- dark soy sauce
Method for making chicken and sweetcorn soup
- Place the chicken, egg white and salt in a bowl and leave to marinate for half an hour. This is a Chinese technique called "velveting" and gives the chicken a soft texture.
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan and add the chicken, garlic and ginger. Cook gently for around three minutes (the chicken should not be coloured yet).
- Blend the cornflour in a bowl with a little stock until it is dissolved.
- Add the blended cornflour, remaining stock and the sweetcorn to the saucepan. Bring it to the boil while stirring continuously.
- Turn the heat down and allow the soup to simmer for five to seven minutes - until it thickens and the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the lemon juice and season to taste.
- Garnish with spring onion and add a drizzle of soy sauce.
Tips for chicken and sweetcorn soup
- Crushed potato can be added to thicken the soup
- Serve with prawn crackers