Naan bread is quick and simple to make. Freshly baked naan is the perfect accompaniment to an Indian meal or can be eaten on its own, fresh from the oven and spread with butter.
Naan bread recipe - makes 5
Ingredients for naan bread
- 250g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 120ml milk
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
Method for making naan bread
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl and make a well in the middle. In another bowl, mix the milk, oil and sugar
- Pour the milk mixture into the well. Working from the centre, slowly mix together to create a smooth dough
- Knead for 10 minutes. Add a little water or flour if necessary
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and allow to stand for 15 minutes
- Knead the dough again and allow to stand for a further hour
- Divide the dough into five oval-shaped balls and roll out thinly
- Place on a baking sheet on the upper shelf of a pre-heated grill
- Grill for 2-5 minutes, until the naans are golden brown and a little puffed up
Tips for making naan bread
- Before putting the dough into the oven, you can add you choice of topping. Nigella seeds or garlic butter works well.
- Keep a close eye on your oven - the naans can be ready in less than two minutes and if you overcook they will lose their fluffiness.