Rhubarb crumble recipe
Rhubarb is a vegetable plant similar to celery which has many culinary uses including as an ingredient in main dishes and yummy pastries. Take a look at an easy rhubarb crumble recipe that you can try and serve as dessert. It is easy to make and you can whip up a sumptuous treat in under an hour.
How to do it
Apple crumble is a very popular recipe, but for all of you out there who love something different, try the rhubarb crumble pie. For this recipe you will need:
- 1 cup flour
- 3-4 cups of rhubarb (chopped)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown or white sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
Instructions for the pie shell:
- Sift the flour and salt.
- Put the mixture in the bowl.
- Add the oats.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Divide the mixture into two - one for the pie shell and another for the top.
- Roll the dough on a 9 inch pie pan.
- Arrange the rhubarb pieces until the entire shell is covered.
For the topping:
- Roll out the other half and put it over the pie with the filling.
- Spread 1/2 cup of sugar and cinnamon over the topping.
- Put in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes at 180°C or until done.
- Let the pie cool down before dislodging from the pan.
- Serve with whipped cream or extra fruit.
Rhubarb can also be enjoyed as a filling in a custard pie. Use a recipe for a strawberry pie and instead of using the fruit, fill the shell with chopped pieces of rhubarb.
The rhubarb crumble recipe is a delicious treat. Enjoy it as a dessert or as a snack. Note that rhubarb can also be used as a jam or on dishes. It is a versatile vegetable plant that is enjoyed by many for its tart and spicy taste and flavour. Thankfully, there is nearly a steady supply of it nowadays as it is also grown in greenhouses.